Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tobacco Hornworms

     This morning as I was picking some lovely tomatoes from my garden when I spied a green caterpillar-looking creature eating the tender new leaves of a tomato plant.  The critters can be seen in this photo I took. They are in the upper middle to left of the photo.  After consulting my sister (a more experienced gardener than myself), I determined they are tobacco hornworms.  My sister said to remove them and squish them, which I did.  And there were LOTS of them, too.

 
    Tobacco hornworms and their relative, tomato hornworms, can decimate a plant in short order, so I will be checking for more each day for the rest of the season.   To learn more about Tobacco Hornworms, visit this website:

http://growyourtomatoes.com/hornworm.html

No comments:

Post a Comment